How to Know When Your Website Needs an Update
On average, up to 83% of consumers visit a company’s website before making a purchase decision. If your site is out-of-date, unattractive or simply disorganized, odds are you’re losing business. That’s why most digital professionals recommend updating your company’s website every two to three years — with minor adjustments occurring on a monthly or quarterly basis. If you’re wondering whether to update your website, consider the following:
First, you should always begin by reviewing your company’s needs, goals and objectives before investing in or updating your website. Next, take an honest look at your current site and its analytics.
- Does it align with your needs, goals and objectives?
- Does it align with your target’s needs and expectations?
- Is the content up-to-date? Are all your services and products featured? Have you added new locations? Are your photos current. Is your contact information correct?
- Does the overall look and design match your current branding (logo, colors, fonts, etc.)?
- Is your website designed with mobile viewing in mind? At least 60% of the people visiting your site are on their mobile device.
- Does the navigation make it easy for visitors to get to the information they want and is it intuitive?
- Can customers place orders quickly and securely?
- Does your site provide a link to your social media accounts — Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
- Are you optimized for search (keywords, metadata, live text, site map, frequent content updates, etc.)?
- Do you have an effective call-to-action strategy?
- Do you have a reliable, easy-to-use Content Management System?
Your website presence is just as important as your brick and mortar location(s); in many cases even more so, because you are not limited by hours of operation or location. People from around the world have access to your product or service any time of the day or night. That means increased sales, but only if you are seen as professional and credible.
Besides being viewed as legitimate and secure, your site must also communicate quality. A quality website is aesthetically clean, well-organized and easy to use on any platform. Good websites contain clear and concise content. They must also be functional. Today’s websites are designed for the mobile user and have content management systems (CMS) for easy updating. An enjoyable user experience leads to higher conversion rates.
Most businesses cite cost as the main reason for not keeping their website current. However, when you consider the potential reach of a well-designed and high ranking website, it is one of the most cost-effective and strategically sound investments you can make.
Your website should be the centerpiece of your company’s online presence. Make sure it’s working just as hard as you are by keeping it current, fresh and easy to use.